Thursday, December 13, 2007

In England, teachers want to quit teaching

I'm am desperately unhappy at the moment and seem to be tearful all the time, my head has even expressed concerns about my well being and health from it all.

I don't feel like I'm making any progress and in staying am not doing anyone any favours.

I'm concerned that while I'm in this state that I am not going to get any better and therefore am not giving my class the teacher they deserve.

I have no confidence left in myself as a teacher and cant see any other way out than handing in my notice.

I have looked into it and know I can reapply to do my NQT year next year but am concerned that heads wont want to consider me as I have effectively failed at my current school (and lets face it most heads know each other)

I have spoken to the inspector who has come in and validated my school's assessment and she feels I can turn it around and make progress but not at my current school.

She advised I could leave and take a break then reapply this Feb to start my NQT year again, but stressed it would be up to me to find another job.

I don't even want to go back this Monday but don't want to damage my class or my career by leaving..

any suggestions or advice welcome


Jinx* in "I just want to leave"


I'm an NQT whos is feeling EXACTLY the same. SOOOO close to leaving but just can't bear to do it to the class.

The thing is I'm getting solid satisfactory/good observations but I really feel like I'm in the wrong profession.

Am also in two minds whether or not to grit my teeth and see my NQT year out but I'm just sooo miserable and everyone who knows me well has commented on my change in personlaity purely becasue I'm so stressed and overworked!

This teaching life totally sucks you in and I just can't help thinking I'd be better off in another job!

Sorry to be such a misery!!!

xx

Starry Sky in "I just want to leave"


I am in a really difficult situation in school and, without going into it too much, it's very unusual. I wanted to resign at end of October but was talked out of it by the school as they did not think I had given things enough time. I now know I cannot go on like this , very very anxious and depressed, crying all the time, being sick etc. I know it's not TEACHING as such, just this particular situation.

Has anyone else felt like this and what did you do to get through? I have asked to be released at end of this term but don't know if they'll agree or not. Someone has advised me that if I feel this bad I should just get signed off sick but I really don't like that idea, would rather just leave as I know it's not right for me.

Any advice too about getting release early with minimum damage to school / reputation would also be appreciated - I am just totally at the end of my tether.

Thanks so much. x x

tinks77 in "so unhappy"


I thought I longed to teach. Others said I would make a great teacher and I really wanted to do it - so I abandoned a good job and went for it. I've never found it easy but throughout training and placements I've been told that I was being too hard on myself and that I was doing fine. The children I taught would be "the lucky ones", they said. So I stuck with it through all my wobbles, my family standing by me throughout.

My OH has been so supportive and patient throughout and my young children have stood up well to being sidelined by me far too often for work at the weekend (which I feel awful about, by the way).

I was incredibly lucky to get a part time NQT position in a wonderful school. But I'm struggling in a very big way. I'm now convincing myself that I've made the biggest, longest and costliest mistake of my life. My OH has just found me in tears and I've admitted it to him. He's having none of it and trying to say all the right things. He's supported me to the hilt through the PGCE and thus far, financially, practically and emotionally and admitting that I'm not sure how much further I can take this before admitting defeat hurt. He's shell-shocked.

I wanted to be wonderful. Others convinced me that I would be, even if I wasn't quite there yet. But now I think that wouldn't want this person teaching my own children and I can't bear the thought of letting other people's children down either.

Should I speak with anyone at school about how I'm feeling? I shall probably end up in tears and because I'm part time and working most breaktimes I don't really know anyone that well yet, although they are a lovely bunch. How much sympathy will they have though if they have entrusted me to join their staff and I admit how I'm struggling and feeling?

whoatetheflakes in "anyone else given up everything to do this and thinks they've made a huge mistake?"


The school I teach in isn't a 'tough' school in the bigger scheme of things, but couldn't really be descrobed as an easy school either.

Even though I'm already too long in the tooth to be nervous, Im really not looking forward to the next two weeks, as two classes in particular just seem so diifcult to control.

The worst ones in there ignore what I say (however it is said or put), answer back and refuse to work. I feel there is onyl limyed sympathy from other staff because some dont have such problems or deny behaviour is so bad, even though I've seen them in similar positions.

It is a scary feeling when you are starting to feel like you have little control over certain pupils, even if they aren't that horrible. Surely the afct that they behave like this at all shows what they are like.

I really dont think I want to stay in this situation--or perhaps in etaching full stop-its really knocked me.Starting to get that humiliated feelign because there is so much rebellion...what can i do,, what had caused this?

nomorebull in "I want out NOW-losing control by the hour"


I'm afraid teaching is just not what i expected it to be. I am a teacher trainee on a SCITT course and now seriously thinking of quitting. I do not like the work/life balance and every day is now becomming a real struggleThe annoying thing is i have received really positive feedback from observations therefore it is not like i am not capable.I am caught in two minds whether to stick in through and use my PGCE in an alternative career in July. Or be straight with myself now and bin it.Has anyone been through this situation. Any other advice really would be warmly received? Thanks

teachteach85 in "throwing the towel in"


I am an NQT on a permanent contract in my first term of induction. I am having a very difficult time at school due to many factors (very difficult school, the worst classes, pupils with acute behavioural difficulties, no support, etc etc) and I think I have decided to leave. I just don’t think I can stand it any more. I am applying for jobs in FE. Would I be able to complete induction in an FE college? I have heard conflicting advice on this. I understand induction can be completed in Sixth Form but not FE colleges? Is this right?Also what would the chances be of leaving before Easter? I just feel that I have no option but to leave. I can’t face the thought of staying until summer. Also I have seen a job in FE that would really suit me and obviously if I wait this job will be gone. Please any advice!

DHS22 in "Leaving in NQT year"


Hi all

Some of you may have read about my problems with a violent child and no support from head. So I contacted my union and all along they have been supporting me and saying that this that and the other needs to be in place and it is unreasonable to put it all on me...
Just over 2 weeks ago I was signed off sick. Since then the child has kicked off for everyone inc. head so she finally decided to exclude him and is getting agencies and support into place (which is good). But my union rep still decided to come in as a 'support' to me. He told me he would meet with me first and then we would meet with the head together to discuss support. Well he turns up and meets with the head on his own. I'm then told to go and speak to him on my own and I am told that I should feel lucky that I work in such a supportive school with such a caring head and implied that if I were in another school I would have had formal proceedings against me and that teaching is not for everything. Can you imagine how I am feeling about myself right now? Especially as I was signed off with depression! Maybe I am no good and give in and leave the whole profession.
A thoroughly miserable Joobs.

Joobs06 in My union was awful!


I have decided headship is not for me. I have taken a school out of a category and raised results, improved attendance and reduced exclusions.
This is however at expense of family life. Last few months I have been ill but feel I can't take time off. I took one day off this week with pure exhaustion but then felt so guilty I went straight backto work on wednesday.
Have now applied for jobs outside of headship. Feel a failure for doing so, but feel so unsupported by LA that its just not worth it anymore

Brandy Butter in another one bites the dust


Hi I have made a poor start to the academic year this September. So far I have had 3 observations-Unsatisfactory, Satisfactory, Unsatisfactory. This has really affected my confidence as a teacher, and I have prepared a letter of resignation to resign for Christmas. My HOD who is also my mentor has been promoted internally this academic year, and the feedback he gave me for the first observation was very harsh with little or no constructive feedback. He is also learning the job, and he questions my Subject knowledge as my main subject is Business, and this is an ICT position. I had a meeting with the HOD, Professional Tutor and Deputy Head at end of Oct to say they had serious concerns i was not meeting some of the core standards, and they have prepared an Action Plan for me, external training, inhouse training etc. I feel that although the HOD/mentor is supportive, there is no concrete support there. He is very critical which makes me feel incompetent. I will be observed my the Headteacher on Wed 5th Dec, then again on Mon 10th dec by the HOD. I am stressed out, and I have a genuine extenuating circumstances outside of work which I dont want to talk about. I am passionate about teaching, and Im thinking this was probably the wrong year to start Induction, and perhaps in the wrong school. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks

savos07 in "seriously considering resigning nqt induction year"


Can anyone give me any advice?

I love teaching and I love the kids that I teach (11-18). However, I just know that I can not work at the school that I am at next year, this is because of the management and how it is run, it is not the school for me. I am going to start looking for jobs, but when do I tell the head? Do I tell the head that I am looking? Do I just say when I have an interview? When do they ask for references? I do not want to make things difficult for myself. I am an NQT so this is all new to me.

taffymatty in "How do you tell the school that I want to leave?"


i am currently extremely stressed out due to being 'bullied' and constantly being told that i'm unsatisfactory if Ofsted was here by the Head and Mentor.'ve been trying my level best to do everthing (planning, displays, assessment etc) but there is ALWAYS something negative for them to say. i feel less motivated, on a Sunday i spend all day 'crying' because i don't want to go school. i'm an NQT and because i loved teaching i'm still there. But i can't take it anymore i just want to leave!! do you think it will be hard for me to find a job elsewhere?

03150579 in "NQT- hate my first term! want to quit. please help"


I have been observed by my headteacher today who graded me as inadequate according to Ofsted criteria, because the plenary did not check the lerning of the content of the lesson, although he liked it as a concept for a starter. I didn;t agree with this as I had planned the lesson with the HOD who suggested the plenary for extended learning as part of the H/W. I just feel demoralised, and feel like this isn't working and that I am in the wrong profession. I told the head I am disheartened, and he reassured me to hang in there. He said 60% of the lesson was satisfactory, just the plenary and making sure that I give clear instructions as he felt some of the kids were confused about the task. The head reassured me that I'm not far off, and only in my first term. Every morning I get up and think 'Why am I doing this?'. I am tired, stressed out and my confidence is low as a teacher. I dont think ill be back after christmas. Any advice will be much appreciated.

savos07 in "failed my first term and wanna quit"