Saturday, December 15, 2007

In England, teachers are miserable

Just had a really awful afternoon. Straight after lunch I had year 9 set 3. There are usually five or six in this class who are really hard to handle and I tend to dread having them. Today however I was in a really good mood because I was on a behaviour for learning course last week and was looking forward to using some of my newly gained techniques with them.

However the class had other ideas and the usual suspects were even worse than usual. All my newly learnt techniques went flying out the window and for the first time I felt that I was in no way in control of the class.

The next class I had my year 10's who I usually enjoy teaching. Today though I turned rund to find a note on the board saying "Are you pregnant miss?" (which obviously I'm not!).

Anyway upshot was that after school I ended up in tears with my head of department and I now feel really embarassed. It was really no worth crying about. This is a second career for me and I thought I would be mature enough to be able to cope with bad behaviour etc..

Anyway I just wanted to know if others have been brought to tears infront of staff?


moonberry in "Why did I start to cry?"


Is anyone else the same.. i feel so tired all the time... i am going up to bed at 8.30 to read a book and go to sleep... i am up again at 6.00!

my lessons have really taken a slump... i am getting to the point where i am getting the kids to do presentations on the topics we should be covering... I know i really am not being fair to them but i just have no energy in me to plan amazing lessons and battle with them all the time. At least this way they are quiet!

I just feel that i just need to chill for a week at Christmas and then once refreshed can plan some stunning lessons... All i can think about is how tired i am. I have never been like this before i have always been very concientious and organised but even my house looks a mess.... just dont feel like i am coping at all well... mentor is off sick as well (and next to useless) and i am setting her work!!!!!

Munchkin77 in "I feel so drained and feel like i am losing teh will to live!"


My Year 10's have been driving me insane since the start of term. I finally had enough today and walked out twenty mins before the end. My second in department was supportive, but now I'm worried that it's going to look bad tomorrow when my head of department comes back. Feel really stressed. Don't want to go in tomorrow at all.
Also one of the kids went to the toilet after I left and caught me crying in the corrider. What to do?!

pamela2612 in "WALKED OUT"


I feel that I am in some way being set up to fail my NQT year. This term, my first, I have had 2 satisfactory obs and 2 goods (although one made it very clear that it was only just good!). I am due two more before Christmas. Problem is classroom management and for my last observation the teacher was very critical of my relationship with the students. Even asked them for comments which were then included on the form. This, by the way, was for an AS class and I don't feel terribly secure about the knowledge I have of the subject either. I was told that although I have already passed my first term, I will not be passing next term unless I sort this out. I have spent most of the weekend in tears, thoroughly dreading the next three weeks as I feel watched constantly and, I have to say, a bit bullied by this.

I know I'm rambling - the tears are flowing as I type, and I'm not really sure what I'm asking for. Advice? Support? I just feel so desperately miserable.

Mrs Never Ready in "demoralised NQT"


I'm an NQT who sailed through the PGCE. I am at a good, supportive primary school but after four weeks I have been signed off with anxiety. Symptoms began in the second week of the job. My performance in the job was good (children settled and good relations built, good first observation, visitor to classroom organised, trip organised, etc.), but physical symptoms set in - not sleeping, crying, being sick, numbness. Saw GP who prescribed anti-anxiety/depression medication and has signed me off for two weeks (taking me until half term). School are being incredibly supportive and saying to take as long as I need and that health comes first. However, it's called into question for me whether I should pursue the job at the cost of my health. I was a TA before training with no health problems and, despite lower pay, job satisfaction.
Anyone else in a similar situation and what are you planning to do?

McCall in "Any NQTs signed off/in similar position?"


I've got all of these symptoms too and know that a doctor would sign me off. I'm sticking it out at school though as I hate to let people down, even at the cost of my own health (and nobody else could make sense of my planning anyhow!). Colleagues say it gets easier with time but I'm really not coping or keeping up, let alone enjoying it and inspiring the class. It's all well and good trying to keep going to complete the induction, as everyone says I should, but I'm sure that I'm not being an effective teacher and the children, the school and my fellow teachers there deserve very much better. My decision is made.

Just re-read my post and it sounds as though I'd decided to stay in position, come whatever. That's not the case! I'm sticking at it in the short term rather than being signed off but I have now set the resignation ball in motion.

whoatetheflakes in "Any NQTs signed off/in similar position?"


Help, I have had the worst day possible and as the title of my post suggests I have no job to look forward to after the holidays.
Here's the thing:

I am an NQT and in Spetember I was visiting schools with my CV's. One school that I went to offered me a job on the spot, that of co-ordinating Extended Schools with the option of a maternity cover after Christmas. As jobs are scare here in NI, I decided to take it. The principal told me that the maternity cover was in a difficult class, an MLD/SEN unit. Being up for a challenge, I decided to go for it and the arrangement was that I spent every Tuesday in the class to gain experience.

Anyway, due to the teacher being sick I have been in this class teaching for the last few days. After a week I feel that I have been through hell. Today I got shouted at by a pupil and had a ruler thrown at me. There was a physical fight and one other child went so mental that he actually tried to tear the skin off his face and poke his eyes with a sharp pencil. One child sits constantly making gun noises at me (which as you can imagine is a tad unnerving). There is another child who actually goes into some sort of fit and rocks back and forth all the time whilst screaming. It really is like a mad house in there. This is only the tip of the iceberg really and it is the SAME THING EVERYDAY.

These are primary school children by the way.

To cut a long story short I was taking to the Vice principal today (HT is now long term sick) and I told him that I can't work in this kind of an environment. He agreed that it is madness to consider putting an NQT in this kind of a job. My situation now is that I have NO WORK after Christmas. I am 28, have a mortgage and bills and I am so panicing. Day from hell, any words of encouragement please? All I have done today is cry:(

lottie3d in "Day from hell and now I have NO JOB after Christmas"


(sorry, this is going to be one those 'feel sorry for me' threads)

Had a rubbish day and I feel useless. My class are lovely (i teach year 4) but they are really starting to get to me.

Behaviour isn't a major issue (just a few that try their luck now and then) but they just don't seem to be learning anything.

Today I had so many blank faces looking at me, either because they weren't listening or they were just confused.

I know it's the time of year and they've had enough but I just want to push them that bit more.

They are becoming really lazy in their work and sometimes they just don't even try.

I'm fed up with giving work back that isn't to their best ability.

I've really got to push them this year because there is still a huge chunk of them at level 2 in maths and writing - which is really getting me down.

What can I do to put a bit of life back in them? (and me!)

captain oats in "Fed up and useless"